Friday 4 April 2008


I spotted this while wandering through Spittalfields Market one Sunday morning, a few weeks ago, on a quick flyover to see Ma & Pa.
What I liked was the line... The irony of a Jew living in Bacon Street was not lost on (Solly)... and then it goes on to detail his sad death, and later on I recalled that the mother of a girl I went out with about thirty-something years ago, had also been caught up in these events. She was a Geordie, new to London, and heavily pregnant, and on her own, her Cockney husband away fighting somewhere in the War, and as the air raid sirens went off and people rushed to get into the shelter, she stopped at the top of the escalator, and stood to one side the let the people rushing down, pass her by.
That saved her, her baby and some years later she gave birth to a daughter, who became my girlfriend.
If one believes in the chain of events, fate and how small events have a huge knock on effect, it could be suggested, that had she been killed then, I would not be here... odd innit?

No comments: